Keeping your Netgear firmware update can improve the device performance and also provide your network protection against the different security threats. You can update your Netgear firmware either through an automated process or the manual process. The Automated process of Netgear firmware update uses Netgear Genie software for finding the most reliable firmware update for your router. The manual method provides you better control, thus it is for those who want to install a specific Netgear Router firmware version.
Steps to follow:
- On your system, launch the Netgear Genie Application and press “Router Settings’ button’ present on the left side of your screen, it will load to the Router Settings Panel. To open the router settings panel, you can click on the ‘Click Here’ link present beneath the Router Settings icon.
- Enter the administrative username and password of your router in the given fields. By default, for all the Netgear Router’s username is ‘admin’ and the password is ‘password’. Both of the fields are case-sensitive, so properly enter the password. Login by pressing the OK button.
- Press the arrow icons present in the Router setting panel’s top right corner to scroll through all the tabs until you are able to check the Netgear router update tab. Load the Router update screen by clicking on the Router Update tab.
- Click on the ‘Next’ Button to have the Netgear Genie scan for the New firmware. If the new Netgear Router Firmware is available, Netgear Genie will inform you by displaying a message. Click ‘Next’ button and after that press the finish button for launching the web-based administration panel.
- Again, login by using the username name of your router and after a successful login, click the “A router firmware update is available” link present at the top of the administrative panel.
- Press Yes and proceed further with the Netgear software update. Your Router will reboot automatically once the update gets finished.
Steps to follow:
- Download the required firmware version from the Netgear Support website. In the search field, enter the model number of your router and click on “Get more Download” and after that click “Download Now” link present next to the Router firmware which you want to download.
- Open the new browser tab and go to Netgear Router’s Web-based administration panel. This address will remain same despite which Netgear Router model you are using.
- Login to the administrative panel by using the administrative username and password. By default, the username and password for all Netgear Routers is admin and password respectively. If you are a new user of Netgear router then, you will see the Netgear Genie Interface and is you have an old router, you will see Netgear Smart Wizard Interface. How you process depends upon the interface you get.
- Press the Advanced tab and click Netgear Firmware update option present under the Administration heading on the left side of the screen, if you are using the Genie interface. If you are using the Netgear Smart Wizard Interface, click on the Link for Router Upgrade present under the maintenance heading on the left screen.
- Click on the ‘Choose File’ button and browse the downloaded file and double click on it.
- Click the ‘Upload Button’ for uploading the firmware and initiating the automated Netgear software update process. Once the update is successfully installed, the router will reboot.
Follow the given step by step instructions for Netgear Router Update. Follow every step very carefully to avoid the hassles in process.